12.9.12

Totally Still Alive

This thing died like...over a year ago. It's got old man smell, cobwebs and mothballs rolling around. I hung air fresheners. They didn't work.

So, hi. I'm back, for now at least. We'll see how long I last this time. Hopefully my posts might be a little more interesting to read this time around.

I think I'm going to use this little musty corner of the internet as my own little personal diary - that's totally public. Makes sense, right? You see, I just started going back to college after a four year break. Is break the right word here? Hiatus? "I didn't feel like going to school so I totally stopped going" doesn't have a nice ring to it.

Part of that was my own fault - I was in a major I despised - Criminal Justice. Oh my GOD that was the worst thing I could have picked. It's ALL LAW CLASSES. I was bored out of my mind! And I had morning classes. I am not a morning person, especially not for school. Work, I can make do. At work, I usually have an hour or more to wake up without really being bothered too much. Trying to listen to a professor drone on about laws and whatnot at eight in the morning just killed me. I never fell asleep in class, but I definitely tuned everything out. I was zombified in these classes.

This time, I want to do it right. I don't want to work in an entry level retail job for the rest of my life. I want a job I actually enjoy doing, in a field I like. I picked computer networking. My degree has some long name that I don't remember. I might look it up at some point. At any rate, I'm fucking terrified.

After being in classes for about a week now (we started on the 5th), I've realized I don't know jack shit about networking. I don't know how to take apart and put together a computer. I didn't take Cisco courses in high school. I don't know binary, I don't know the cables, I don't know ANYTHING. And that scares the hell out of me.

I'm taking two Cisco courses right now - Introduction to Networking (which I often feel kind of lost in, but I did well on the first quiz) and Networking Fundamentals. The latter is a hybrid course that meets once a week but takes place mostly online. There's a lot of reading.

I'm scared but I'm hopeful. I want to do well, I want to impress my teachers, my mom, and myself. I think I can do this. I'm just scared I won't be able to.

On a more positive note, I'm also taking Fiction Writing as an elective and I'm totally going to ace that class. The teacher is nice and I have an inflated ego about my writing. I'm sure half way through the semester I'll write something I think is great, then end up ranting on here in tears cause it was actually awful. Stay tuned for that!

Oh and Keyboarding is seriously the most frustrating class I have ever attended.

And in WoW news:
I've recently changed servers to join Conquest on Ner'zhul US. This is another scary change for me - I don't really know anyone particularly well and I want so badly to make a good impression. The problem is, I'm not outgoing in the slightest. I don't start conversations in Mumble. I do better with text - guild chat and especially forums. We'll see how I end up fitting in here, but so far I do like everyone I've come across. They seem like a friendly bunch.

'Cept that Matticus guy. Gotta watch out for him. Shifty bloke.

------------------------------------------------------
Shit I need to know:

Network = communication between machines
Elements of communication:
- Language
- Sender
- Receiver
- Message
- Medium
- Security (optional)
- Error Correction (optional)
1 byte = 8 bits


Vocab word of the day:
Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
- used by all computers to use the internet - public networking model. No company owns it, it is managed by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)
- TCP: protocol known for error recovery. Adds a header to data containing a sequence number (packets). If receiving computer is missing a packet, it replies with an acknowledgement number - the sending computer resends data started from the missing packet.
- IP: used for logical addressing and routing (end to end routing)

Haha, retyping class notes!


2 comments: