5.4.11

We're Just a Couple of Misfits


This is a BlogAzeroth Shared Topic by Kamalia from Kamalia et alia.

Do your alts know each other?

I have a confession.

I'm a secret role player.

My main toon and high level alts are all on a PvP server. There's absolutely no RP there. There's only raiding and PvP and farming and grinding and all that fun stuff and there's nobody pretending to be their own characters. I have a few random lower level alts on different PvP servers.

And then there's Earthen Ring. Earthen Ring is my dirty little secret.

I first rolled a night elf priest named Dainz on Earthen Ring back in Burning Crusade as a joke. My server was down and to kill time I thought I would go poke fun at all the RPers. I know, I'm a jerk.

I quested quickly and made my way to level 10 to get out of the starter area. After that came the death run through Wetlands to Ironforge. Taking the tram to Stormwind, I put all my clothes in my bags and proceeded to run around naked, dancing and emoting with anyone I saw RPing. Most of them ignored me, some came out of character long enough to whisper me to go away. I found it all very hilarious until one of them actually included me in their role play.

As soon as that happened, I unconsciously started coming up with a background story for my little naked priest. She was an outcast. She had been tortured. She was well meaning but totally bonkers. Little tidbits and random things that kept building every time I revisited that server.

I now have a death knight (named Gneisha, surprise surprise) over there specifically for role playing.


Yes, her guild is Demon for Hire. I had a huge fit of giggles when I made it.

Ever since then, I tend to make up little bits of backstory and personality quirks for my characters. In my head, Gneisha is an outgoing, vivacious little vixen. Yes, a vixen. She's sexy and she knows it! On the other hand, my druid Ðainz is somewhat shy, very soft-spoken and kind. The paladin, Shreya, is brave and a bit reckless, but very just.

As for if they know each other...

I'd say Gneisha and Ðainz know each other, considering the amount of mail that goes between the two. Shreya doesn't know them, but has heard of them, and they've heard of her. Gneisha is the most prestigious of the three, having raided the most and possessing the best gear. Ðainz has been slowly getting into the raiding scene, while Shreya still isn't sure what she wants to do (i.e. she's hit level 85 and has both prot and holy gear, but neither sets are good enough for heroics). Giving my characters a bit of personality makes them a lot more interesting to play.

I've actually used Earthen Ring and its RPers as a testing ground for stories I write. The very first character I RP'ed with, the naked priest, has actually become a main character in my current endeavor, although she remains clothed. The inspiration I can get from just walking around watching other people RP or interacting with them is really cool, and I've decided if I actually do end up finishing this story and getting it published (miraculously) I'm going to dedicate it to the entire Earthen Ring server.

3 comments:

  1. The tables got turned on you -- but for the better!

    My characters acquire bits of personality and story as they go along, too. Discovering their personalities and stories is part of what makes playing a lot of different characters fun, at least for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. My secret little RP server is home to the death knight, of course, but I've also recently rolled a paladin named Sehlar, a continuation of the original priest. I save any bit of cool looking quest gear I can get my hands on XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. If describing you, Miss M, I'd say you're a vixen. As the female fox type. /nod

    ReplyDelete